Friday, January 2, 2009

Panic on New Year's Day

Happy new year!

Everything that transpired during the past year, the good and the bad, the shocking and the conventional, the poignant and the foolish, everything is something to be grateful about. Though much of what happened is still a blur, still muddled in my dazed brain, I went to bed on the evening of the 31st of December pleased and thankful for everything that has been, and hopeful for everything that will be.

But in the morning of January 1, I woke up in a state of panic…

I have just officially joined the ranks of the unemployed.

In synchrony with my drifting brain, I’m finally a certified bum, scum of the universe, another mouth to feed, a parasite living on the labors of others. This is indeed a distressing fact, to realize that your last paycheck has entered your account, when you withdraw cash from your ATM knowing that your bank account has nowhere to go but down, to run on reserve until you’re parched and begging. There’s that certainty of eventually becoming bankrupt. The thought of bills are a torture.: apartment rent, laundry, cellphone, airfare, food, ahhh, Batanes…

Panic, panic… Waaah! I need a job!

No comments: