Sunday, May 3, 2009

Not-So-Old-Friends

Since I already ventured to write about old friends in my previous entry, I can't help but spare a few paragraphs about not-so-old ones. This post sounds cliche for many and if I would be given the liberty, I will write about this again and again until I no longer make sense. But for clarity's sake, I'll try to keep this short, shrouded in a bit of mystery.

We often unconsciously lump our friends into categories: childhood friends, high school friends, neighbors, band mates, med school friends, blockmates, batchmates, work mates, co-residents, co-fellows, etc. As we grow older, our world expands and yet our capacity for a deep and spiritual communion with anyone markedly decreases. I do believe that at this age, the chance of finding anyone outside your usual circle of old folks that you can truly relate with is so remote it's almost an absurd fantasy. Yes, we meet people. But more often than not, our interactions with them are business-bound, temporary, driven by necessity instead of simple pleasure of company. Finding a good and lasting friendship at this age is almost impossible.

Almost.

I happen to believe that some of us can still be blessed enough to find a not-so-old-friend who does not qualify under the categories I mentioned above, but who evoke the same warm connection like old friends do. It's a strange, odd, irrational, absurd, cosmic bond enveloped in modern cynicism and doubt, but it is still friendship in it's pure unadulterated form. I think it is possible for complete strangers to meet, to share moments that have lasting impacts, conversations that will be indelibly stamped in the memories, to form a bond that is beyond logic and convention, beyond definition.

It is possible. I just know.

And I also know that the strings of a lute make beautiful music when they are apart. Entangle them and the music is gone.


A touching scene from Lost in Translation, one of my all-time favorites. Very beautifully and realistically crafted, with poignant scenes even if they're wordless. During quiet Sunday duties such as these, I reconstruct the movie and imagine a happier ending. And then I realize, a different ending would ruin everything.


"For the pillars of the temple stand apart,
And the oak tree and the cypress grow not in each other's shadow."

Kahlil Gibran
'The Prophet'

2 comments:

Reena said...

haha. i can relate to this one. i categorize my friends like that too..(high school, college, office, roomies, etc, etc.)

yeah, it's harder to have that kind of connection these days. the kind of new friendships that we can truly say could last a lifetime.

but i'm not very bothered. sometimes i feel like they are enoug to keep me company na. hehe.. i just have to make sure they don't migrate. haha

Lalaloo said...

I love this movie. The ending was beautiful. As for friends, they come and go but there are those for keeps. Beyond space and time.