Sunday, July 25, 2010

Confessions of a Trying Hard Workaholic

Obviously, I couldn't kill the blog. I just changed its address. It won't be long before it will die a natural death, however. Since I'm currently on the road to workaholic-hood (or workaholic-dom, whatever), my brain is empty of everything else.

Come to think of it, tonight is my 5th night of sleeping in the hospital. I go on 24-hour duties once every 5 weeks this year, which would have made all the other Cardiology fellows out there envious, but I'd rather spend my free time in my workplace. Where I work is now where I practically live. PGH should charge me a fee for board and lodging. But this is only step one.

My dream is to be a self-centered over-competitive bitch, who won't allow anything to get in the way between her and her career. I'll read Braunwald from cover to cover, memorize every page, master every diagram. I'll publish one at least one research paper every month. I'll make rounds even on the evenings, so the MRODs will consider me their favorite firendly neighborhood Cardiology fellow who's just a text message away. I'll be on-call 24-7. Got an interesting case out there? Com on, tell me about it. I'll devour it voraciously, as I would every new article in the New England Journal of Medicine or the Lancet.

Little by little, I'll have decreased need for sleep. I'll just read and read and work and work. Until I'm numb and no longer thinking.

Now that's suicide.


No comments: